Wednesday, September 1, 2010

birds love bath


A postcrosser in England sent this card from a day trip to Bath the beautiful. The card shows Pulteney Bridge, famed in literature and real life. I too have made a day trip to Bath and loved it. What makes this card interesting to me, though, is its frame of water fowl. I am now reading a wonderful collection of discovered writings by Rachel Carson, called Lost Woods. Though Carson, a pioneer in conservation and ecology, wrote well and elegantly about a wide spectrum of topics, her particular love was the ocean. I was just reading an evocative essay by her about a water fowl sanctuary in North Carolina.

This stamp too is perfect as Bath is known for its ancient Roman baths, not to be missed on a visit to the city. The stamp brings back sipping the delicious (some say stinky but not to me) healing waters in the Pump Room. For centuries those waters have lured travelers to Bath.